Article ItemIn memoriam: Richard 'Dick' Saacke, professor emeritus of dairy science , article
Saacke, of Blacksburg, joined the faculty of what today is the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 1965, devoting his career to excellence in research, teaching, and mentoring graduate students in the field of bovine reproductive physiology and artificial insemination.
Article ItemNew research finds a disconnect between poultry dietary energy and egg production , article
The discovery by a team at Virginia Tech could have substantial impact on the rising cost of feeding egg laying hens that can be passed onto egg consumers.
Article ItemStudents PREP for successful futures in science , article
Virginia Tech’s PREP Program sets minority students up for success in advanced science degree programs across the country.
Video ItemMaking shelter dogs more adoptable , video
Students from the School of Animal Sciences and the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine are improving their ability to read dog behavior, while at the same time making dogs from local shelters more adoptable by teaching them basic obedience and addressing behaviors adopters might find less desirable.
Page 1 of 10 | 39 Results
CALS Events Calendar
- Sep 22 2023 VT Southwest AREC Ram Test Annual Sale & Field Day
- Oct 03 2023 Stockmanship/Grazing Infrastructure Training This hands on event featuring Curt Pate is limited to 40 people per day. Topics will include Stockmanship principles using cattle and sheep for training purposes, arm and ranch layout for fencing systems and working facilities, fence building sessions covering layout, bracing, post selection, fence fabric selection, gate placement and new ideas and options, watering options and placement, including water gaps, will be covered and installed, and more! Registration deadline: September 26.
- Oct 06 Blacksburg, VA Virginia 2023 Cattlemen's Boot Camp Oct. 6-7, 2023. The Cattlemen's Boot Camp is a great opportunity to brush up on current knowledge or learn the basics through hands- on experiences! The topics that will be addressed by educational speakers and labs will be herd health, nutrition, reproduction, and operational management.
- Oct 14 Alphin-Stuart Livestock Arena Virginia Livestock Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Family, friends, alumni and the general public are invited to attend. Lunch will be provided. We kindly ask that you register to accurately prepare for this event by October 10. There is no cost to attend.
CALS Events Calendar
- Oct 04 108 Human & Ag Bio Science 1 Defense Seminar Kayla Farrell, Ph.D. Candidate. Dissertation title: Sex-differences in proteasome-independent roles of the ubiquitin proteasome system in memory formation.
- Oct 06 Zoom Only (EST) The Reproductive Biology Club Presents: Work in Progress: Fontes Lab, University of Georgia
- Oct 20 Zoom Only (EST) Preliminary Exam Seminar Mitigation of Reactive Oxygen Species in IVP Bovine Oocytes and Embryos through Antioxidant Supplementation by Jessica Keane, Ph.D. Candidate | Advisor: Dr. Alan Ealy
- Oct 27 Zoom Only (EST) The Reproductive Biology Club Presents: Work in Progress: McLean Lab, University of Tennessee
- Nov 03 Zoom Only (EST) The Reproductive Biology Club Presents: Effects of modified live virus vaccines on AI pregnancy rates, Stewart Lab, Virginia Tech