Southwest Agricultural Research and Extension Center Ram Test
Virginia Tech's Southwest Ag Research and Extension Center Ram Test was initiated in 2012, and is the only program in the U.S. evaluating rams through a forage-based performance test designed specifically to evaluate post-weaning growth and parasite resistance. The test provides a mechanism for which ram lambs can be evaluated among rams from other flocks in a common environment, with the top end of the rams offered for sale at the conclusion of the program. Since inception, the program has had strong participation from breeders across the country, as well as sent rams to multiple states through the sale. This program is unique and created much interest across the industry.
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standardized post-weaning performance evaluation of growth and parasite resistance that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program.
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.
The 2023 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test Annual Field Day and Ram Sale will be held Friday, September 22, 2023.
- Nominations Due: May 1, 2023
- Delivery: May 30, 2023
2023 SWAREC Consignment Packet contains:
Rules & Regulations,
- VT Southwest AREC Historical Test & Sale Expense Summary (2014-2022),
- VT Southwest AREC Historical Performance Data Summary
2023 SWAREC Ram Test Dates
|Nomination Deadline||May 1|
|Ram Delivery||Tuesday, May 30|
|Acclimation Period (3 weeks)||May 31 - June 20|
|Start Test||June 20|
|14- day Interim Date||July 4|
|28- day Interim Date||July 18|
|42- day Interim Date||August 1|
|56- day Interim Date||August 15|
|Off-test (70 days)||August 29|
|Sale & Field Day||Friday, September 22|
Video Field Day Topics:
- Selection for Parasite Resistance in Katahdin Sheep- Dr. Andrew Weaver, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Small Ruminants, North Carolina State University
- Southwest AREC Ram Test Program 2012-2019: What We’ve Learned- Dr. Scott Greiner, Professor and Extension Specialist, Virginia Tech
- Utilizing NSIP and EBV’s in Your Production System- Lee Wright, Senior Research Associate/Superintendent, VA Tech Southwest AREC
- Update on Available Assistance from VSU Small Farm Outreach Programs for Southwest VA- Mandy Fletcher, Small Farm Outreach Program/Agriculture Agent, Virginia State Univ.
SWAREC Ram Test Contacts
Article ItemUnique ram test and sale measures natural parasite resistance, boosts sheep industry , article
By tracking and isolating rams that are resistant to the barber pole worm, the Southwest Virginia Agricultural Research and Extension Center helps the entire sheep industry.