Virginia Ram Test Program
The Ram Lamb Test is held at the Virginia Sheep Evaluation Center on the Virginia Tech Shenandoah Valley Research and Extension Center in Steeles Tavern, VA. This program is sponsored by the Virginia Sheep Producers Association and the VSPA Seedstock Council. The Virginia Ram Test is among the oldest, most continuously operated ram evaluation programs in the U.S., with the program existing at the current location since the mid-1970s.
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standard, impartial postweaning performance test that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program;
- To provide a source of and market for performance tested rams;
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.
The 2023 Virginia Performance Ram Lamb Test Sale is set for Saturday, August 26, 2023.
- Nominations Due: April 5, 2023
- Delivery: May 1, 2023
2023 Consignment Packet contains:
Rules & Regulations,
- Historical Test & Sale Expense Summary (2014-2022),
2023 VA Performance Ram Test Dates
|Nomination Deadline||April 5|
|Ram Delivery||Monday, May 1|
|Start Test||May 15 & 16|
|21-day Interim Weight||June 6|
|35-day Interim Weight||June 20|
|49-day Interim Weight||July 4|
|Off-test (63 days)||July 17 & 18|
|Sale & Field Day||Saturday, August 26|
Scroll below to view the 2023 catalog or download PDF version
- Click on the document to activate scrolling feature if needed.
- Two scroll bars: far right controls webpage, inside right controls document. Click to activate the section you would like to control.
- Adjust document size with the -/+ and zoom % window (top center).
The Virginia Performance Ram Lamb Test Sale will host a Ewe Lamb Sale, immediately following the ram sale. Please see the 2023 Ewe Sale Rules for more information and consignment details. Consignments are open to members in good standing with the Virginia Sheep Producers Association and the Virginia Sheep Seedstock Council.