Dr. Johan Osorio joined the Department of Dairy Science faculty at Virginia Tech in Spring 2022. He received his BS in Agricultural Sciences with an emphasis in animal sciences at Zamorano University in Honduras in 2004 and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Animal Sciences from the University of Illinois in 2010 and 2014, respectively. After receiving his Ph.D., Dr. Osorio began a post-doctoral program at Oregon State University. His research interests focus on improving animal health by advancing the understanding of nutrient-gene interactions and the convergence between metabolism and the immune system during common diseases affecting transition dairy cows and neonatal dairy calves. Additionally, Dr. Osorio has an interest in precision dairy farming by exploring new ideas of how to correlate accelerometers and other sensor systems data with cow and calf physiology.
- 2014 - Ph.D., Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
- 2010 - M.S., Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
- 2004 - B.S. Agricultural Sciences and Production, Escuela Agrícola Panamericana, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- Midwest Young Dairy Scholar Award (ADSA-ASAS), 2013
- Innovation in Dairy Research Award (ADSA-ASAS), 2013
- Michael F. Hutjens BASF Graduate Student Travel Award, 2011
- Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture, 2008
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
1. Osorio, J. S. and S. J. Moisa. 2019. Gene regulation in ruminants: A nutritional perspective. In: F. Uchiumi, editor, Gene expression and control. Intech, Rijeka, Croatia.